Saturday, November 14, 2015

Thanksgiving Centerpiece Inspiration Series: The FTD Fall Harvest Cornucopia by Better Homes and Gardens

Thanksgiving Centerpiece Cornucopia Feature
We gave four bloggers an FTD Thanksgiving centerpiece and $50 to create the perfect Thanksgiving table.  See what they created.  Here’s part 3 of 4.
See part one here
See part two here
Classic Bride blog editor Sarah Darcy knows that hosting Thanksgiving dinner requires proper preparation. Sarah began planning her design around our Fall Harvest Cornucopia (by Better Homes and Gardens). In this post, Sarah provides easy tips for how to create an autumn-inspired tablescape, adorned with repurposed embellishments and natural décor, including gourds, pomegranates and pinecones. Follow Sarah’s three-step guide to create a colorful, festive display this Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving Centerpiece Cornucopia Feature

Fall is my favorite season. Between the vibrantly-hued falling leaves, chill in the air, taking hayrides, crisp apple cider and, of course, the holidays. There’s nothing better in my book! And this year, my husband and I are hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for my family at our home, which means preparation has already begun.

I teamed up with FTD and decided to plan my tablescape around their beautiful Fall Harvest Cornucopia by Better Homes and Gardens. Not only is it gorgeous, but it also embodies the holiday perfectly.
Love this idea? Here’s a step-by-step guide to recreating the look for your Turkey Day table.

Step 1 – Repurposing Items for Your Thanksgiving Centerpiece

Scour your house for items you can repurpose rather than buying new things. During my home search, I found a copper vessel that usually sits in the kitchen and turned it into a candle holder—the warm copper color blends seamlessly with the gourds and flowers in the cornucopia centerpiece. I used a French antique soup tureen as another candle display and, to cushion the candle, I spruced it up with pinecones and wine corks.

Thanksgiving Centerpiece Pinecones and Candle

Instead of using traditional paper or linen napkins, I opted for autumn-colored dish towels that my mom graciously gifted me. She got them while on a pilgrimage to the town of Gérardmer, France (the production site of renowned Le Jacquard Français table linens). I’m always looking for unique ways to use these beautiful linens and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to showcase them!

Thanksgiving Centerpiece Cornucopia Tablescape

Step 2 – Adding Natural Décor to Your Thanksgiving Centerpiece

Integrate natural décor. Thanksgiving begs for the use of natural gourds and pumpkins so I made sure to scoop up a hearty selection at our local market. I also picked up a few crimson-colored pomegranates to add in another holiday color. The gourds are so ridiculously easy to incorporate because they look beautiful in almost any arrangement. I chose to sprinkle them in and around the cornucopia centerpiece, as well as between the place settings and my DIY candle arrangements. Then, I nestled a mini-pumpkin in the soup bowl at each place setting as an anchor for the menu and add another accent to the vast white color of the bowl and dish combo.

Thanksgiving Centerpiece Cornucopia Natural Elements

I already mentioned using pinecones but I didn’t just stop at including them in the candle displays. I also mixed them in with the gourds to add some texture. Pinecones are versatile décor, plus they’re free! Just take a bag the next time you go on a walk and scoop up a few or you can purchase them at a craft store if you’d prefer. To kick the style up a notch, dip the cones in glue and gold glitter for some sparkle (I’m doing that for Christmas décor!)
I also used dried magnolia buds to act as the place card holders. My mom found these a few years ago in Alabama and we both use them as décor year-round. Mine usually sit in a tall glass cylinder but they’re the perfect holders, as you can see!

Thanksgiving Centerpiece Cornucopia Menu

Step 3 – Final Touches to Your Thanksgiving Centerpiece

Last but not least: the stationary and the menu. To choose menu items, I scoured Pinterest for yummy recipes and then repurposed leftover wedding stationery (using metallic Sharpie to stay within the color palette). Finally, I added a sheer gold ribbon around each menu as an extra pop of fanciness. The name cards seen here were from a past event but you can always just cut a thick piece of paper to achieve the same result.
And that’s it! I hope this how-to guide gave you a bit of inspiration for planning your own holiday party

0 comments:

Post a Comment