Saturday, November 12, 2016

Perfect Pie Crust – In 10 Easy Steps

Apple, pumpkin, pecan, chocolate cream, lemon meringue…so many flavors of pie!  But no pie is delicious without the perfect crust.  Just a few simple ingredients but the technique is key to make that pie crust flaky and delicious. 

Ingredients for the Perfect Pie Crust

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 ¼ Cup butter or shortening (the key to this one is half and half)
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
5 Tablespoon Water (Ice cold)
1 egg
Perfect Pie Crust Ingredients

Recipe for Perfect Pie Crust

I know I know…shortening you say instead of all butter.  As much as I hate to admit it as I am a baker that loves my butter, a pie crust needs the balance of both.  Butter and shortening have different melting temperatures which allows for a better flakier crust that also keeps it shape (especially if you want to make all those cute piece crust designs with leaf cut outs and such)
  1. In separate bowl beat egg and add vinegar and ice cold water (cold is very important here so you don’t melt the butter!) Keep in fridge to keep cold
  2. Sift your flour and salt
  3. Add your shortening and cold butter cut into pieces
  4. Next you have a couple options
    • Old Fashioned pastry blender OR
    • Food Processor
  1. I went with the old fashioned pastry blender simply because I didn’t want to clean all of the parts of the food processor when I was done. And I got my arm exercise since I didn’t have time for the gym.
  2. Cut the butter and shortening into the flour with the pastry blender until you keep pea sized pieces – work fast so you don’t melt the butter!Perfect Pie Crust Mixing
  3. Bring our your egg, vinegar, water mix and add to the flour/butter mix and loosely stirPerfect Pie Crust Batter
  4. Flip out onto clean counter and form ball – do not knead or overmix!Perfect Pie Crust Dough
  5. Flatten between two pieces of plastic wrap and chill (much easier to roll if you flatten somewhat now instead of leaving in a bowl – this also allows you to stack multiple crusts)
  6. Chill overnight before using for your favorite pie!

Perfect Pie Crust Finished

0 comments:

Post a Comment